Monday 9 August 2010

High Intensity, MORE Recovery...It's The Future!

I know it's been a while since I last blogged...sometimes there's just not enough hours in the day!
Thankfully, my season continues to tick along nicely, which in my world means no injuries! My last race was the Inter Services at Ellesmere. I like the Ellesmere course, with its fast bike route and challenging run, although the swim course in the Mere did take us into some shallow waters where my hands were dredging the silt off the bottom for a while! I finished that race in 17th overall, and bagged a bit of glassware for coming 3rd Vet and another piece of glass for being part of the winning Vets team...which was nice.

Since then, I've been trying to train quite hard, when work commitments allow (as always). Bike wise, although I've done two 3 hour rides, I've been mainly concentrating on power and anaerobic endurance stuff. The same goes for my running and swimming. This has meant that I've been doing 2 high intensity bike, 2 high intensity run and 1 high intensity swim a week, and all other workouts in the week have basically been recovery. Its kept me feeling 'sharp' and injury free and I'm really enjoying this kind of approach, which is quite a departure from my usual 'eyeballs out' every session regime!

Looking forward to the Beverley Sprint this Sunday, followed next week by the Stockton Sprint. Racing back to back weekends is something new for me this year and it seems to have worked quite well so far...touch wood!

Well done to all you recent long distance dudes at the IM UK and Outlaw. I think I may be tempted to go long in this country again next year, the question is...Outlaw or IM UK??

Train smart.

3 comments:

  1. well done on staying fit
    you wont really have an option on where to race if yu stay on the team! you can hardly snub their race to do the oppositions race the following week!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. True!...I just fancy the idea of getting a faster iron distance time under my belt! Although I do need to do Bolton again at some point, to put the 'running demons' to rest after last year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. if you want faster you will have to go abroad and book early, austria, roth etc..

    ReplyDelete