Monday 9 March 2009

Another Hard Week In The Bank...

This was my 3rd hard week of a '4 hard/1 easy' cycle. I admit, I did take a bit of a risk this week by upping my run mileage and intensity in the same week, and with no recovery runs I realise I was risking picking up an injury. But I've survived....2 long runs, a hard interval sesh of 2 min hard/1 min easy (x 10), and my favourite of the week was a session I picked up from Hussler's blog...bike/run/bike hill workout!

These hill repeats were done on Friday afternoon after I'd finished work at 2pm. Hills within running distance are non existent around Linton-on-Ouse so I chucked my running shoes in a backpack and hopped on my bike to seek out a suitable hill to tame! I stopped at a particularly evil hill about 30 mins ride away and hid my backpack in the hedge while I spent the next 30 mins doing seated climbs. Then I hid my bike in the hedge and spent a further 40 mins running up and down the same hill. It took about 90 secs to run up and I ran down at a fast, controlled pace before taking a minute rest at the bottom. This was followed by a very steady ride home.

On Saturday, the day after my 'hill brick', I did an early morning 3km swim followed by a 50 mile bike. Needless to say, on Sunday, my second long run of the week (14 miles) in gale force winds, was a tad tough!!

During my longer sessions this week, with Ironman nutrition in mind, I've tried to make a conscious effort to get more energy drink/bars/gels down me, trying to get my body used to simply eating on the move! Things on this front are going ok and I'm gradually increasing the amount I can consume without the need to dive behind a bush mid ride or run!!

All in all, I squeezed in 4 runs, 4 bikes and 3 swims this week. Result!

This coming week is another hard week, before an easy one leading up to my first race of the season on Mar 22nd. I'm a great believer in 'listening to my body'...if I feel good I train hard and when I'm tired, I rest! I know it sounds a bit basic for a lot of you 'wattage crazy' dudes but it works for me and at the moment I'm feeling good, but I'm REALLY looking forward to my easy week!

Train well.

No comments:

Post a Comment