Sunday 25 October 2009

Walking is Tough!

It's been 4 days since my legs were operated on and things seem to be moving slowly...literally! Thankfully I was only in hospital for the day, getting home about 10pm on the day of the operation, which was last Wednesday. The next day was spent laid up in bed with both legs elevated on a couple of pillows. Since then I have gradually been getting more mobile as the days pass, and today I reached the dizzy heights of a 15 min walk/shuffle with the dog, sensibly supervised by my wife, Tracie.
I have been bound tightly from toe to groin in sticky elastoplast type bandages which, at the moment are pretty restrictive. But the main problems with my walking stem from the two rather large cuts in my groin. These cuts feel like they pull on my lower abs so as you can imagine, any movement has to be slow and deliberate so as not to dislodge the stitches. I think these cuts are going to be my biggest obstacle to getting back to training, rather than the other smaller cuts and bruises which are currently hidden beneath the bandages.


Each day I try to 'move' a little bit more and this should become a bit easier once I've taken the bandages off. My 'big reveal' will be on Thursday when I have to soak the bandages off in the bath. I am kind of looking forward to removing them but at the same time I'm a little apprehensive as to what my legs are going to look like! I just hope that the sticky bandages peel away easily and don't tug at the strips underneath which apparently cover all the smaller cuts on my lower legs. Oh the joy!

All this rehab, otherwise known as 'sitting around a lot', is driving me crazy! However, while sitting in my chair, I've managed to find one exercise I can do...tricep dips! And for variation I alter my hand position! Well I have to do something!


Enjoy your training...(I'm sooooo jealous!)

3 comments:

  1. Take it easy fella, rest up and recover well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. feel for you Mal, sounds terrible. Make the most of the rest then you can start with the winter training. You could use the time to plan next season both races and your training for the races. Get well soon,

    Daz

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blimey Mal. Sounds terrible! Mind you, at least you will be forced to have a proper end of season break and recuperate fully from a hard season - unlike me! You have time to get back to top shape so be patient!

    ReplyDelete